Wrongful Death

Filing A Wrongful Death Claim In South Carolina

Many people rely on family members for financial support, emotional stability and intimacy. When the people who provide these benefits die because of the negligence or wrongful acts of another person, the surviving family members may have a wrongful death claim.

Wrongful death claims do not intend to assign a value to the life of the deceased, but filing a lawsuit that attaches value to the provisions once secured through the deceased can be an important part of facilitating the healing process.

When grieving family members need to focus on and process the emotional pain of losing a loved one, knowing that financial matters are handled properly can make a real difference in absorbing the radical changes the death of a family member can create.

The Law Offices of Gedney M. Howe, III, P.A., works with clients who are suffering the loss of a loved one due to wrongful death causes such as:

Understanding Who Can Bring A Wrongful Death Lawsuit

Wrongful death claims require a certain relationship to the deceased. For instance, if a friend passes away due to the negligence of another party, a surviving friend may feel a severe emotional loss, but that is not a cause of legal action in South Carolina.

Usually, the parties who may file a wrongful death claim are spouses or children or, in the absence of spouses and children, parents. Children not born into a marriage have the same rights as children of wed parents, but all parties are subject to time constraints for filing a claim during the probate process for the deceased.

These timelines are fairly narrow and, if not met, can invalidate a case entirely, so hiring an attorney who is prepared to represent the needs of survivors in a timely manner is extremely important.

If you believe you have a wrongful death claim, please contact the law firm.

Contact The Firm Now

If you or a loved one has suffered catastrophic injuries, please contact the firm’s office in Charleston to schedule a free consultation. The Law Offices of Gedney M. Howe, III, P.A., represents severe and catastrophic injury cases requiring complex litigation. You may send the firm an email through this secure website or call 843-722-8048.